Tuesday 28th February is nearly here and Pancake Day has officially creped up on us… So it's time for you to reach for the eggs and get cracking!
Now there’s a variety of different ways you can serve pancakes, and I'm sure some of you will have flipped at some of your friend's suggestions.
Whether you’re team savoury or team sweet, we all have one thing in common: we love pancakes!
And to help make your pancake day the best yet, we've put together an easy-to-follow pancake recipe and some topping ideas to get you started.
- 100g plain flour
- 2 eggs
- 300ml semi-skimmed milk (dairy or non-dairy)
- 1 tablespoon of sunflower or vegetable oil + extra for frying
- A pinch of salt
This will serve 12, but if you absolutely love pancakes you might need to stock up on more ingredients!
- Mix the flour, eggs, milk and salt in a bowl and whisk until smooth.
- Wipe a frying pan with oiled kitchen paper and set it over a medium heat.
- Once hot, pour and evenly spread your mixture into the pan.
- Here's the fun part! Allow your pancakes to cook for 1 minute and then get flipping. I would probably get a cloth ready - nowhere in your kitchen is a safe zone!
- Once your pancake is a gorgeous golden brown, it’s time to serve with the toppings of your choice.
The options here are endless! From tomato and mushroom to bacon and egg, anything goes with pancakes.
A particular favourite of mine is a mashup of onions, broccoli, kidney beans and a little chilli pepper to create a spicy pancake fajita.
Try it! You won't be disappointed.
Now here's where you can get really creative.
There are no limits on what you can put on your pancakes, but here are our top five sweet ideas to whet your appetite:
- Chocolate - Whether it's in spread, chips or chunk form, you can't go wrong with a bit of chocolate!
- Fruit - We know it's February and your New Year fitness regime may still be going full steam ahead, so enjoy pancakes without the guilt. Chopped bananas and berries are a healthy alternative.
- Maple syrup - A popular favourite amongst pancake lovers, syrup is a sweet addition that will leave you licking the plate!
- Ice cream - Another big hit and with good reason! Any ice cream flavour goes well with pancakes. Yum!
- Jam - Relive your childhood and crack open the jam. You could even spread this across your pancake and roll it to make a kind of jam roly-poly. Perfect!
Whatever topping you choose, we hope your pancake day is the best yet. You never know, you may even become a record breaker!
Catch you on the flip side...