Getting out of bed in the morning is never easy! During these cold winter months, all I want to do is curl up under my warm covers all day long.
The right 'Wake Up' song should make things easier...
How to find the perfect wake up song
It all sounds simple enough. Everyone has a favourite song, right? Why not just use that? According to research, it isn't that straightforward.
David M. Greenberg and the Spotify data team concluded that the perfect 'wake up' song should include these three key features to really kick-start your day:
- Build up: Enjoy a gentle approach to waking up in the morning. Songs that start off softly and build into something bigger can help you wake up gradually.
- Keep positive: Positivity is key! Positive lyrics and melodies can inspire and motivate you to feel good.
- Solid beat: Songs that include a strong rhythm with emphasis on beats 2 and 4 can help lift your spirits. If your wake up song is around 100-130 beats per minute, you're on your way to a great day!
Our 'wake up' playlist
With these ideas in mind, I've created my own playlist - featuring some of my all-time favourites:
- Katrina & The Waves - Walking on Sunshine
- Bobby McFerrin - Don't Worry Be Happy
- ELO - Mr Blue Sky
- Get Up Offa That Thing - James Brown
- The Foundations - Build Me Up Buttercup
- Danielle Bradbery - My Day
- Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah
- Bill Withers - Lovely Day
- Kodaline - Brand New Day
- Michael Franti & Spearhead - The Sound Of Sunshine
- R.E.M. - Shiny Happy People
- Tom Petty - Runnin' Down A Dream
- Robbin Thompson - A Real Fine Day
- Echosmith - Bright
I wake up feeling happier, more optimistic about the day ahead - and most importantly, I feel good about myself.
Full of upbeat lyrics and catchy tunes, I'm pretty pleased with my playlist. I wake up feeling happier, more optimistic about the day ahead - and most importantly, I feel good about myself.
Everyone has different tastes in music: what works for me might not necessarily work for you.
So why not give it a go, and try creating your own wake up playlist?
Enjoy starting your mornings the right way, and discover that much-needed motivation boost before you leave the house!