Roll-Up Mattresses: Everything You Need to Know
Here at Mattress Online, we're often faced with the question, "how are roll-up mattresses different to regular mattresses?", so we thought it was time to address the question. And guess what? We have all the answers. So let's get this ball rolling!
How are mattresses rolled up?
To understand how roll-up (also known as vacuum-packed) mattresses work, we first need to know how something so big can fit in a box!
Well, these mattresses embark upon a journey where they are:
- Placed in a protective bag
- Flattened in a compression machine
- Vacuum- and heat-sealed
- Rolled using a tumbler and sealed again
Don't worry, no mattresses are harmed in this process!
Here's a video to explain how the roll-up process works:
How to set up a roll-up mattress
Here's what to do to get your roll-up mattress back to its original size and ready for a great night's sleep:
- Unpack your roll-up mattress and roll out to full size
- Place your mattress on the bed of your choice
- Allow your roll-up mattress to expand slowly. It does this by replacing the sucked-out air, gently returning to its original size
... Your mattress is now ready for you to sleep on it!
Roll-up mattresses: how long do they take to expand?
Although most roll-up mattresses will expand within an hour, they usually take up to 8 hours to be ready for use. Aspects such as fillings and size all affect the amount of time it takes a roll-up mattress to expand. In some circumstances, mattresses can take up to 24 hours to regain their original shape.
Roll-up mattresses: do they smell?
Roll-up mattresses may come with a slight smell when first unpacked for two potential reasons:
- They are often made using synthetic fillings
- A fire retardant substance is used
- These can give off a slight smell when first used.
- To meet regulations and ensure a safer mattress.
As you can imagine, these smells can build up within a vacuum-sealed bag. But don't worry - they generally disappear within 24-48 hours. Open the windows and keep your bedroom well-ventilated during this time.
Roll-up mattresses: the benefits
Regular mattresses have been the norm for over a century, so why choose a roll-up mattress? Read on to find out why a roll-up mattress is a great option.
- Environmentally friendly
- Super-quick delivery
- Easy to manoeuvre
- Always in stock
- Our delivery drivers can carry more roll-up mattresses in their vans. Fewer journeys mean less is fuel used, helping to reduce our carbon footprint.
- Because vans can accommodate more roll-up mattresses than regular ones, less time is spent driving to and from our warehouse. This means you'll get your mattress quicker!
- Say goodbye to wedging your new mattress through doorways and up the stairs. Roll-up mattresses are easy to carry into the room of your choice.
- Because roll-ups take up less space, we can keep more in stock to make sure they're always ready, when you want one.
The best roll-up mattresses
Roll-up mattresses provide the same comfort and support as a regular mattress does. They offer something for everyone which is why more and more people are starting to purchase a roll-up mattress.
Roll-up, roll-up! Here are three of our most popular roll-up mattresses:
- A Which? Best Buy!
- Featuring cool Geltex and memory foam
- Not too soft, not too firm
- Endorsed by Allergy UK
- Our customers love it - scoring it 9/10
- From only £399.00
Here's what a happy customer had to say about the Studio Medium:
"You don't get hot like other memory foam mattresses and it's very supportive. I had been suffering with a bad back and woke most mornings with discomfort, not now though."
- Firm, orthopaedic support
- Memory foam and Adaptive® cooling technology
- Removable, washable cover for easy care Our customers rate it 8.8/10
- From only £134.95
This customer now wakes up free from aches and pains, thanks to the Bodyshape Ortho:
"Was dubious at first as it arrived rolled up, but no need to worry. Going to bed is now worry free as I wake up without the extra aches and pains."
- Featuring 2500 Luna Pocket® springs and Luna Fusion Memory Foam
- Great, all-round medium-firm support
- Hypoallergenic for your peace of mind
- Our customers rate it highly - 9/10
- From only £299.95
No more aches and pains with the Luna 2500, and easy to care for too:
"Extremely comfortable, no more back ache and no need to turn it."
These are just a select few of our roll-up mattresses. Check out our full range to find the perfect roll-mattress for you!
Both roll-up and non-roll-up mattresses offer a supportive and comfortable night's sleep. However, if you want to be more eco-friendly or simply don't want the hassle of wedging a mattress through your door, then a roll-up mattress is the one for you!