What is a Divan Bed?
Divan beds are made from two parts: a specially-designed divan base and a matching mattress. The divan base is constructed from a sturdy wooden frame surrounded by fabric. It is usually placed on castors or wheels for easy manoeuvrability. It can include drawers and a headboard. The base is then paired with a mattress. The divan base and the mattress are designed to work together to provide a comfortable night's sleep.
Known as 'divan bed', 'divan set' or 'divan', this type of bed is ideal if you are looking for a complete bed and mattress package. Alternatively, you can purchase a divan base only. This can be paired with the mattress of your choice.
Divan beds remain one of our most popular bed options, with many people still choosing them over more modern bed frames. Compared with standard bed frames, divans offer a wide variety of extra features and are great value for money.
Read on to discover the answers to frequently asked questions about divan beds:
- Are divan beds easy to assemble?
- Does my divan bed come with a mattress?
- Are divan beds expensive?
- Do divan beds take up a lot of space?
- Does my divan bed come with storage?
- Does my divan come with a headboard?
- Are there different divan base options?
1. Are divan beds easy to assemble?
Yes, divan beds are the easiest type of bed to assemble. Your divan will arrive in two base halves (one whole piece if you buy a single-sized divan bed), complete with divan legs and a headboard, if you've chosen one. Follow these step-by-step divan bed assembly instructions:
- Turn the two base halves upside-down and attach the divan legs
- Turn the bases over and push together, securing them with the locking clips on either either side
- Add the headboard (if you've chosen one) using the pre-drilled headboard sockets. The sockets are found at both ends of the bed, for convenience.
2. Does my divan bed come with a mattress?
It's up to you! Divan sets come complete with a matching mattress as standard. However, if you already have a mattress and simply want a new bed, you can choose a base only divan.
Generally speaking, most customers choose to purchase a full divan set. Read on to discover the different mattress and divan bed sets you can choose from.
- The ultimate in sleep support: an orthopaedic mattress and divan bed is ideal if you're looking for extra support for your back.
- Standard sprung
- A standard sprung mattresses and divan bed is a great all-round choice. The mattress features a steel rod edge, which surrounds the springs. This provides edge-to-edge support and maximum sleeping space.
- Pocket sprung
- A pocket sprung mattress and divan bed provides premium, tailored support that works in harmony with your movements throughout the night, with no "roll-off" or "roll-together". Pocket springs move independently, preventing the transfer of movement between you and your partner.
- Memory foam
- A memory foam mattress and divan bed is a great choice if you're looking for personalised comfort and relief from aches and pains. Memory foam also offers pressure relief, alleviating pressure points and promoting healthy circulation.
- Due to its remarkably elastic structure, latex offers support where you need it and distributes body weight evenly to reduce pressure points. Our range of latex mattresses and divan beds help provide relief for aches and pains and a comfortable night's sleep.
3. Are divan beds expensive?
Divan bed and mattress sets are usually much cheaper than purchasing a bed frame and mattress separately! We offer a wide range of divan beds to suit your budget - starting from as little as £154.95.
4. Do divan beds take up a lot of space?
Divan beds take up less space than a standard bed frame of the same size. This is because the width and length of a divan bed are the same as the mattress. The mattress sits on top of the divan base, rather than insider a frame. For this reason, divan beds are a particularly good option for small rooms, such as box rooms, guest bedrooms and loft rooms.
5. Does my divan bed come with storage?
You can choose to add drawers or ottoman storage to your divan bed to help clear up the bedroom clutter and store away extra items. The ultimate space-saving solution, we offer a range of storage options for your divan bed that can be customised to meet your needs.
The storage options available in our divan beds are:
|Bed Storage Options|
|Two Drawers||Two drawers on either side of your bed - or on one side for a single-sized divan bed|
|Four Drawers||Four drawers, two on each side of the bed for maximum storage|
|Four Continental Drawers||Two full drawers either side of the bed and two half drawers at the top for easy access to your bedside table|
|End Drawer||One drawer at the end of the divan, ideal when space is limited either side of the bed|
|Full Ottoman||Storage within the entire underneath of the bed, opening up either from the end of the bed or the side|
|Half Ottoman||Storage within the lower half of the bed, opening up from the end|
6. Does my divan come with a headboard?
Divan beds do not come with headboards as standard, but can choose to add one as an additional option. Often you can choose the headboard style and colour to match your divan bed. Simply take a look at our range of divans, and within the individual product options, add a headboard of your choice.
7. Are there different divan base options?
Like bed frames, divans come with different support systems. These support systems work in harmony with your mattress and contribute to the overall support and firmness. There are two main types of support options for your divan base: a platform top base and a sprung divan base.
- Platform top divan base
- A platform top divan base is constructed from a wooden frame and a solid panel top. It's a great option if you're looking for firm support and a sturdy, solid base for your mattress. For more information, read our guide, what is a platform top divan base?
- Sprung divan base
- Made from a built-in spring unit, sprung divan bases offer more flexible, gentle support - slightly softening the feel of even the firmest mattress. This divan base is ideal if you prefer a softer, cushioned level of comfort. Want to find out more? Head over to our page, what is a sprung divan base?
Divan beds: best sellers
Finding your perfect divan bed has never been easier! We've gathered a list of our best-selling divan beds to give you some extra help.
- From only £719.95
- Mattress type: 1400 pocket springs and latex
- Firmness: medium
- Awarded a Which? Best Buy
- From only £454.95
- Mattress type: 2000 pocket springs and memory foam
- Firmness: medium
- From only £464.95
- Mattress type: 2000 pocket springs and latex pillow top
- Firmness: medium
- Approved by the Good Housekeeping Institute
- From only £1199.95
- Mattress type: 3300 pocket springs and Affinity Foam
- Firmness: medium to soft
- Awarded Mumsnet Best
- From only £264.90
- Mattress type: Miracoil springs
- Firmness: medium to firm
Divan beds are the ideal solution if you're looking for a complete bed and mattress package. With so many options to choose from, you are sure to find the bed that suits your room. Should you need any extra help deciding, don't hesitate give us a call.