Mattress Buying Advice for Children
Sleep is vital for children as it directly impacts their growth, development and health. Depending on your child's age, they will need between 10 and 14 hours sleep per night. For this reason, it's vital your child's mattress provides a comfortable and supportive night's sleep.
Your child's mattress should:
- promote healthy posture
- support their changing size
- provide a clean and healthy night's sleep
From the types of children's mattresses to protecting your child's mattress against accidents, our guide has all the information you need to choose the perfect mattress for your child. Read on to find out more.
When should my baby move to a child's mattress?
Moving your baby from a cot bed mattress to a child's mattress is an important phase of their childhood. Eventually, a cot bed mattress will become too small for your child. We recommend moving your little one to a child's mattress and bed between the ages of 18 and 36 months.
However, this is just a guideline. Keep an eye on your child's size, comfort and safety in their cot and decide for yourself when you think it's time to make the switch to a child's bed.
Types of children's mattresses
A supportive mattress is vital to supporting your child's growth. Read on to discover which type is best for your child.
- Standard sprung (open coil)
- Open coil springs work as one unit to spread your child's weight across the entire mattress. Standard sprung mattresses provide great support and optimal spinal alignment.
- Pocket sprung
- Pocket sprung mattresses feature springs wrapped in their own cloth sleeve. These mattresses are more responsive to your child's weight and movements than standard sprung mattresses.
- Memory foam
- The contouring effect of memory foam will help reduce how often your child tosses and turns during the night. The Bodyshape Value Memory Mattress is a wonderfully comfortable child's mattress.
- Latex mattresses are naturally hypoallergenic and breathable. They're perfect for kids who like to stay cool throughout the night.
- Reflex foam
- Reflex foam mattresses feature solid foam that provides great support for growing kids.
Still not sure which type to choose? Below is a table to help you compare the different mattress types.
|Standard sprung (open coil)|
Can my child use a second-hand mattress?
Unfortunately, children often sleep on old, hand-me-down mattresses and beds. If your mattress or bed isn't good enough for you - it's not good enough for anyone else. Here's why:
- Reduced support
- Over several years, an old mattress will lose its ability to offer the support and comfort it once did. This means your child will experience an uncomfortable night's sleep.
- Poor hygiene
- Each year, we lose around half a pint of body moisture and shed a pound of skin during sleep. The buildup of dead skin cells, dust and moisture can lead to increased bacterial growth, mould and dust mites. This creates an unhealthy sleep environment for your child.
If you have an old mattress that you no longer want, we can take it away and recycle it for you!
How often should I replace my child's mattress?
How often you should renew your child's mattress depends on their age and size. Here are our recommended guidelines:
|Age of your child||When to renew their mattress|
|Between 3 and 10 years old||Every three years|
|Between 10 and 16 years old||Every five years|
It is worth noting that children grow at different rates. We recommend that your child's mattress is approximately 10cm longer than your child. Because of this, you may need to renew your child's mattress sooner or later than the suggested guidelines.
How much should I spend on my child's new mattress?
Like with all mattresses, more expensive children's mattresses are likely to feature higher quality fillings. Spending more on your child's mattress means you may not have to renew their mattress as often. This could actually save you money in the long run.
We have children's mattresses to suit all budgets. Check out our range to find one perfect for you.
How do I create an allergy-free bedroom for my child?
Does your child suffer from asthma, allergies or sensitive skin? Hypoallergenic mattresses, pillows, duvets and mattress protectors have been designed to create an environment where dust mites cannot live, providing a healthier sleep environment for your child.
Create the ultimate hypoallergenic package with the following items:
- Fully elasticated skirt for a secure fit
- Machine washable at 40°C
- From only £15.95
- Natural Dunlopillo latex
- 100% soft-touch cotton cover
- Only £34.95
- Anti-allergy fillings to guard against dustmites
- Machine washable at 40°C
- From only £25.00
How do I protect my child's mattress from accidents?
Bedwetting and spillages can be a common problem when it comes to your child's mattress. Accidents can be quite tricky to clean therefore it's important to give your child's mattress the protection it requires. You can prevent damage to your mattress by investing in a waterproof mattress protector.
Mattress protectors are fitted with an elasticated skirt to firmly fit around the top and sides of your mattress. Mattress protectors are also machine washable so you can keep your child's mattress looking and feeling clean.
It is a common misconception that waterproof mattress protectors can be noisy or uncomfortable to sleep on. This isn't the case! Mattress protectors often have a soft cotton surface that prevents any crinkling noises that could be caused by your child's movements.
One of our best sellers, the Protect A Bed Premium Waterproof Mattress Protector offers reassuring protection against accidents and allergies.
Children's mattresses: best sellers
We have a wide range of children's mattresses for you to choose from. Why not start with our best sellers? Here are five of our most popular children's mattresses, all complete with Free Next Day Delivery!
- Reflex Foam
- Perfect for bunk beds
- From only £119.95
- Reflex foam
- Infused with anti-dustmite technology
- Complete with a washable cover
- From only £99.95
- Standard sprung
- Choice of five different colours
- From only £94.95
- Standard sprung
- Double-sided for great durability
- From only £64.95
We hope this guide has given you all the information you need to choose the perfect mattress for your child. We have a great range of mattresses that are sure to support your child's growth throughout their entire childhood. If you have any other questions, get in touch!