What is a Pocket Sprung Mattress?
A pocket sprung mattress is made from individual pocket springs. Each pocket spring is enclosed within its own fabric pocket. Working independently from each other, each spring reacts only to the pressure applied to that area. This results in a greater level of personalised support and response for each person sleeping on the mattress.
Pocket springs don't move as a whole unit, unlike more traditional open coil mattresses. This helps to prevent "roll-together", and reduces the transfer of movement to other areas of the mattress. Each pocket spring works individually to correctly support your body. Because of this, a pocket sprung mattress is particularly beneficial if:
- You and your partner are of different weights
- You tend to toss and turn throughout the night
Pocket sprung mattress benefits
Pocket sprung mattresses are one of the most popular types of mattress - and for good reason! Read on to find out what pocket sprung mattresses are, how they work and how you could benefit from one.
- No transfer of movement
- Consistent firmness
- Total body support
- Pressure relief
- Each pocket spring reacts separately to pressure applied, supporting body weight individually, rather than spreading body weight across the surface of the mattress. This helps to reduce the feeling of rolling into your partner and so promotes a more restful night's sleep.
- Because each individual pocket spring is enclosed within its own cloth sleeve, this holds it at consistent tension. This creates an even level of firmness across the whole of the mattress.
- Pocket sprung mattresses are considered a more premium type of sprung mattress, since they are renowned to provide consistent, total body support. Our range of pocket sprung mattresses are available in a wide range of pocket spring counts and firmness ratings, so you can choose the ideal level of support you need.
- Since pocket springs work independently from each other, pocket sprung mattresses support your body weight to a greater degree than an open coil spring system (also known as standard sprung). This can help you to feel comfortable and well-supported as you sleep, reducing the risk of pressure point build-up.
Want to know more? Discover the key benefits of a pocket sprung mattress in this video from Silentnight:
What is pocket spring count?
Pocket spring count is the number of pocket springs in a mattress. We offer mattresses in a great variety of pocket spring counts - from 600 pocket springs right up to 13250!
For simplicity, pocket spring counts are always based on the number of pocket springs within a king size mattress. So, when you select a mattress with 2000 pocket springs, this is the total number of pocket springs within the king sized mattress of that particular mattress model. The superking size or single size mattress of that same model will have proportionately more and fewer pocket springs, respectively.
There's no need to worry! This is the case across all pocket spring mattresses, from every brand. If you'd like more precise information on how pocket spring counts vary per size, simply give us a call and we'll be happy to explain this further.
Are more pocket springs better?
Pocket springs contribute to the levels of support and firmness you feel from your mattress. Additionally, the tension (also known as "gauge") of the springs plays a part in determining the overall firmness of the mattress.
However, it's important to note that pocket springs comprise only one element of the mattress. The comfort layers, such as memory foam or natural fillings, will also have an impact on the overall feel of your mattress.
More pocket springs won't necessarily mean your mattress will be more comfortable or firmer. Instead, a greater density of pocket springs will support your body weight across more springs, and offer a greater level of response to your individual movements as you sleep.
To help you decide, we recommend that you read what our other customers have to say about our pocket sprung mattresses. Simply head to our pocket sprung mattress range, and take a look at the individual Reevoo customer reviews to find out more!
Are pocket sprung mattresses firm?
Like all mattresses, pocket sprung mattresses are available in a variety of firmness options. Whilst we have a great range of firm pocket sprung mattresses - we also have softer pocket sprung mattresses, too! Discover our pocket sprung mattress range, with up to six firmness ratings for you to choose from:
- Soft to medium pocket sprung mattresses
- Medium pocket sprung mattresses
- Medium to firm pocket sprung mattresses
- Firm pocket sprung mattresses
- Extra firm pocket sprung mattresses
Not sure what firmness is right for you? Head over to our guide, what mattress firmness is right for me? for more help and advice.
Is a pocket sprung mattress good for a bad back?
A pocket sprung mattress could be a good option if you suffer from a bad back. Because each pocket spring reacts independently to body weight, this can help support correct spinal alignment to a greater degree than an open coil (standard sprung) mattress can.
However, it is also important to consider factors such as overall mattress firmness, whether the mattress is orthopaedic, and the comfort layers of the mattress. These all contribute to providing the correct level of support and back care you need.
You may find the following advice pages helpful:
Best-selling pocket sprung mattresses: five of the best
We offer a wide range of pocket sprung mattresses here at Mattress Online. Whether you're looking for a high pocket spring count, a memory foam pocket sprung mattress or a best-selling pocket sprung mattress from Silentnight, Sealy or Sleepeezee - you'll find everything you're looking for in our pocket sprung range.
With well over 100 to choose from, why not start with our best-selling pocket sprung mattresses below. We've handpicked five of our most popular for you, and they're all available for Free Next Day Delivery!
- From only £289.95
- Type: 1200 pocket springs
- Medium-firm for great support
- Winner of the Good Housekeeping Institute's Getting Greener award
- From only £189.95
- Type: 1000 pocket springs
- Medium support - a great all-rounder
- From only £224.95
- Type: 1000 Luna Pocket® springs, Luna Fusion Memory Foam
- Medium feel firmness rating
- From only £419.95
- Type: 4000 pocket springs
- Medium-firm feel
- From only £489.95
- Type: 1400 pocket springs, latex pillow top
- A Which? Best Buy in June 2020
- Medium firmness rating - best of both worlds
Pocket sprung mattresses are very popular since they offer high levels of support and comfort without that "roll-off" or "roll-together" feeling you may experience from open coil (standard sprung) mattresses.
Available in a range of firmness ratings, comfort levels and from a wide range of well-known brands such as Silentnight, Rest Assured and Sealy, we offer a fantastic collection of pocket sprung mattresses, all designed to offer you a great night's sleep.