What is a Latex Mattress?
A latex mattress combines latex foam with either springs or reflex foam to create a supportive and durable sleep surface. Latex in its natural form comes from the sap of a rubber tree and its potential was discovered by Dunlopillo in the early 1900s. Dunlopillo pioneered the revolution of latex by creating a range of mattresses and pillows made purely of latex foam to offer incredible comfort and pressure relief.
Because latex is a natural product, some latex mattresses are often combined with other natural fillings to create the perfect natural mattress. From benefits to best sellers, this guide has all the answers you're looking for when it comes to a latex mattress.
Benefits of a latex mattress
Latex mattresses are sure to provide a soothing night's sleep - and there are plenty of reasons why! Read on to find out how a latex mattress could help you sleep better.
- Latex has elastic properties, so it can rapidly respond to your weight, shape and movements. This elasticity helps support the heaviest parts of your body for great pressure relief.
- Naturally resilient, latex mattresses maintain their shape and performance for many years.
- Easy to maintain
- Dunlopillo, the pioneers of latex mattresses, create single-sided latex mattresses so you don't need to flip your latex mattress.
- The structure of latex means it is naturally resistant to dust mites. This helps maintain a fresh and healthy sleep environment.
- The rubber trees used to collect latex convert over 90 million tons of carbon dioxide into oxygen every year. This makes latex one of the most eco-friendly mattress fillings available.
Want to discover more benefits of latex mattresses? Find out more in this video from Dunlopillo:
How is latex made into a mattress?
Latex foam is produced by using one of two methods:
- Latex is poured into a mould, in one complete pour. As a result, Dunlop latex is firmer along the bottom and softer towards the top of the mattress. This blend of firmness provides sublime comfort and wonderful pressure relief.
- The Talalay method involves a few extra steps and ingredients. Latex is partially poured into a mould and expands into complete foam using a vacuum. This method creates a less dense foam that has a more consistent feel from top to bottom.
Latex vs memory foam mattresses: what's the difference?
Memory foam and latex are produced in different ways. There are three key ways in which they differ from each other.
- Bounce back rate
- Latex returns to its original shape much quicker than memory foam giving it a lighter feel and more bounce.
- How they mould to your body
- Memory foam uses your body heat to soften and mould to your body shape. However, latex mattresses don't require heat to contour to your body. Instead, latex responds to your weight and shape to provide pressure relief tailored to you.
- Materials they're made from
- Latex is a natural product whereas memory foam is made from a synthetic material called polyurethane. Because of this, latex is more eco-friendly than memory foam.
Want to know more about memory foam? Head over to our page, what is a memory foam mattress? to find all the answers you're looking for!
Latex vs memory foam: which should I choose?
Still not sure whether to choose a memory foam or a latex mattress? Check out our quick guide below.
|What's most important to you?||Latex||Memory foam|
|Faster bounce back rate||-|
|Less transfer of movement||-|
|Ease of movement||-|
|Natural temperature regulation||-|
|Good for allergy sufferers|
Latex mattresses: best sellers
We are sure you'll find everything you're looking for in our latex mattress range. To help you get started, we've handpicked four of our most popular mattresses for you.
- Mattress type: 100% latex
- Firmness: medium
- Awarded a Which? Best Buy in 2019
- From only £799.95
- Mattress type: latex pillow top and 1400 pocket springs
- Firmness: medium
- Awarded a Which? Best Buy in 2020
- From only £489.95
- Mattress type: latex pillow top and 2000 pocket springs
- Firmness: medium
- Approved by Good Housekeeping Institute in 2018
- From only £374.95
Incredible comfort, pressure relief and durability - just three reasons why latex mattresses are well worth the investment. Still not sure if a latex mattress is right for you? Get in touch and let us help find your perfect mattress!